History of Union Township

A History that Dates Back to America's Colonial Era


Originally known as Connecticut Farms, Union was settled in 1667 by Rev. Abraham Pierson and his followers from Connecticut, who traveled for weeks under difficult circumstances to find a new settlement.

On June 7, 1780, the village of Connecticut Farms was plundered and burned to the ground after a three hour battle by a British and Hessian army that was marching toward General Washington's army camped at Morristown. Both the village and parsonage were rebuilt later.

In 1808, the Township of Union was created when a General Assembly in Trenton approved a petition from local residents asking for a separation from Elizabethtown. At that time, the township was about 75% larger than it is today.

Union has been home to two New Jersey Governors: Governor William Livingston and Thomas Kean. Both are actually related and resided at one time or another in Liberty Hall.

Today, Union is governed by a Township Committee, whose function is to pass ordinances and resolutions, including an annual budget. The committee sets policy on all township business and consists of five members who are elected and serve for three year terms.

Union Chamber Pocket Guide App

 

Download it TODAY

  • Looking for a gift, a place to eat or need a service?
  • "Our Pocket Guide is Your Resource to all things in & around the Township."
  • Keep up with events and happenings around town.
  • Stay in the know and Shop Union!
 

 

APP SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES NOW AVAILABLE - Click to learn more!

Hear what our members have to say!

 

Login

Member Spotlight

lieberman

Businesses Building Businesses

Our mission is to unite, strengthen, represent and promote business growth
for the members of the Union Township Chamber of Commerce.

Contact the Union Chamber

355 Chestnut Street
2nd Floor
Union, NJ 07083

Contact us by Phone:
908-688-2777

Send us a Fax:
908-688-0338